Reported by Ir Thomas SK Lai
During her visit to London, Mrs Carrie Lam, Chief Secretary of the HKSAR Government, received her Hon. Fellowship of The Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) on 26 September 2016. The ICE and the HK Economic & Trade Office London (HKETOL) hosted a Reception in her honour. It was attended by leading figures and professionals in the UK construction industry.
ICE Vice President Prof. Lord Robert Mair, praised Mrs Lam for her strong support of infrastructure development in HK. He highlighted the close link of ICE and HK where approaching 6,000 ICE members live and work. He reminisced the memorable three years when he worked on the Kwai Chung Container Terminal. He still has HK in his heart.
Mrs Lam recalled the valuable eighteen months assignment as Director-General of HKETOL. She is immensely proud of her two Cambridge educated sons.
She outlined the Contribution of Infrastructure Development to the Economy and Livelihood in HK. It notably includes:
- Increasing Land and Housing Supply
- Strengthening Cross Border Connectivity
- Building on Excellent Rail-based Public Transport
- Enhancing Aviation Hub & Bridgehead Economy at Lantau
- Bringing Kai Tak into Reality
- Pressing ahead with West Kowloon Cultural District
- Regenerating Old Urban Areas
- Enlivening the Victoria Harbour
- Leading the Green Building Movement
- Preserving Hong Kong’s Heritage
- Supporting Economic Growth
- Investing in Community Infrastructure
- Building an Elderly-friendly City
- Government’s Investment in Infrastructure
- Challenge of High Construction Cost, Inadequate Construction Manpower and Promoting Innovation
- Unmatched Opportunities for Businesses and Professionals
Government’s increasing future annual infrastructure expenditure to US$ 14B greatly impressed the audience.
Photo of Mrs Carrie Lam and the HKIE UK chapter committee members
Photo of Mrs Carrie Lam during her speech
Photo of Prof. Lord Robert Mair in his introduction speech